Effecting Change: Chip and Dan Heath’s Switch

switch3d

Several years ago I read a book called Made to Stick. It was perhaps the best example of how theory–in this case making ideas carry a stronger impression–can be put into action that I had ever read. Well, the brothers Heath who wrote that book are back with Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard. Once again, the information is practical, the stories are motivating, and the experience of reading the book is inspiring. The genius (and I am being careful with my words here) of these authors is how they can transfer studies from psychology and economics into actionable knowledge that readers can make immediate use of, whether they are teachers or administrators. That is, they are able to draw a clear line from  theory to practice. And they make their points with illustrative and memorable stories (following their own advice from the earlier book). Made to Stick is a book I have recommended to teachers and friends for years and I will probably recommend this one too, though the potential audience is much smaller because the focus in this book is largely on organizational change.

In Switch, they are concerned with effecting change in people, in organizations, and in systems. They clearly lay out three areas in which to concentrate energy if we are after change: the intellectual/rational side of people that must be convinced, which they call the Rider; the emotional side of people, which they call the Elephant; and the various people and conditions that form the environment in which change must take place, all of which can be targets of action as one tries to shape the Path for the Elephant and Rider. Yes, it is simplistic, but that is also the strength of the book. It can be reduced to a checklist (and if you think checklists are for dumbsters, then you need to read the part of the book beginning on page 220). Indeed, there is a checklist/summary available on the web at the Heath brother’s site for the book. But you really ought to read the book, the ideas will stick better.